1. One of the things associated with democracy is that Governments and the people must subscribe to the Rule of Law.
2. We all believe that if we do this, we will enjoy good governance and, the people would be protected through the application of laws.
3. But now we are seeing laws being used to do things that cannot be considered as democratic or even just.
4. For example people can elect the Government through elections. But now we see the Government of the people’s choice being replaced by a Government of the people rejected by them. The losers rule. The winners form the opposition.
5. You would think this is wrong. But the law says it is legal. It is therefore a part of the rule of law. We must accept.
6. In Sabah, State assemblymen who are supporters of the Government, suddenly left the Government. Why? The only explanation is that they had been bribed.
7. The Government had to be dissolved, a new election held and the people rejected in the original election now form the Government.
8. Again, this is legal. This is a part of the rule of law and must be accepted.
9. Then the former Ketua Menteri (Chief Minister) who faced 42 charges of financial wrong doings had all the charges withdrawn by the Attorney General (A.G.).
10. Again, it is all legal. The A.G. has the right to withdraw charges. The rule of law is not breached.
11. In another case, the accused gave back some of the money he was alleged to have stolen. He was discharged on the promise that he would return the rest of the money later on. It is also legal.
12. And now a man who bribed a minister was fined after he admitted to doing so. But the minister who accepted the bribe is discharged without being acquitted.
13. Again, it is completely legal and in accord with the Rule of Law.
14. Maybe later on even a man convicted of stealing millions of Government money will be pardoned. This too would be according to the law.
15. All these are in accordance with the law. Criminals can go unpunished. Crimes can be committed without fearing the law.
16. All are done according to the rule of law.
17. We are going to see criminals enjoying a free life according to the law.
18. It seems that the rule of law can be so abused that justice will not be done.